Sunday, August 16, 2026

Trike collisions



All

Having been hit a few times by trucks, I’ve developed an increased level of paranoia while riding. I came across this a few days ago, and I can’t agree more. Be careful out there.

John

******

on Facebook Ben Parke wrote:

Having been hit a couple times myself in velomobiles with flashing lights, the hard truth is that sometimes there's absolutely nothing you can do. If a driver isn't looking, they're not going to see you no matter how many preventive measures you take. I've had these conversations with people before. There are a subset that want to believe if you just did the right things and had the right preventive measures (ie lights and or flags) you wouldn't have gotten hit, but the hard truth is that you can't anticipate every stupid move a driver will make. Doesn't matter what you're riding or driving, the example of people running into semis and fire trucks being very pertinent here. There's a certain amount of accepting that there is risk to anything in life and that in some cases we have to surrender the idea of being able to prevent every bad thing from happening. The best we can do is reasonable measures to reduce risk, including lights and defensive riding, while accepting that there will be times when we nothing we could do would have prevented the accident. This sounds like one of those times. I'm glad you're relatively unharmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment